Get Free Home Security Price Quotes

ZIP:


Do I Need a Home Security System for my Pennsylvania Home?

What are Crime Rates in Pennsylvania?


In Pennsylvania, a violent crime occurs every 11 minutes, 26 seconds, while a property crime occurs every 1 minute, 56 seconds. Specifically:

  • A murder occurs every 13 hours, 43 minutes
  • A forcible rape takes place 2 hours, 38 minutes
  • A burglary occurs every 9 minutes, 7 seconds

There were 45,967 violent crimes reported to Pennsylvania police agencies in 2011, a slight decrease of 0.9 percent from the 46,363 violent crimes reported the previous year. The violent crime rate was 360.7 per 100,000 in population - slightly less than the national average.

For property crimes, 283,660 were reported to law enforcement, an increase of 2.6 percent from the 276,564 in 2010. The property crime rate was 2,226 per 100,000 in population, also lower than the national average. Looked at another way, there were 777 property crimes each day.

Burglaries in Pennsylvania

As you’ve read, a burglary occurs about once every 9 minutes in Pennsylvania. Of the 57,675 burglaries in 2011, the vast majority - 77.4 percent - occurred in residences. The remaining 22.6 percent occurred on public or commercial properties.

Nearly 32 percent of the residential burglaries occurred during the day and 24 percent occurred at night. The timing was not reported for the remainder.

The total value of stolen property from burglaries was about $104 million in 2011, with $79.5 million stolen from residences. The average loss to homeowners was $1,782. For businesses, it was $1,864.

Benefits of a Home Security System

Home security systems provide peace of mind that your family is safe and your home and valuables are protected. Studies have shown that homes with alarm systems are far less likely to be burglarized. Need evidence? Check out this 2009 Rutgers University study or this 1998 study published in a respected journal.

As an added bonus, modern security systems offer far more than just burglar protection. They can be used to keep an eye on your children or turn lights on and off remotely. They alert emergency officials in the event of a fire.

Home security systems are available at a variety of price points, but the average system costs about $1,000 to $2,000. That includes outfitting the home with a hardwired (not wireless) alarm system and motion detectors. Live monitoring service starts at $20 to $50 per month.

Try Our Free Quote Request Tool!

Get connected to the best local home security companies and get free price quotes. You will never need to enter credit card or financial information. It's completely free and there are absolutely zero obligations. Give it a try!